This weekend’s detection: STEREO-A received on X-band using 1.2m offset dish:
I received a squeezed-tube depolarizer and super Kumar scalar ring from Paul M0EYT (from uhf-satcom.com). Jason KC2TDS terminated it with a waterjet-cut copper disk and added a probe which he carefully tuned with the VNA to get <20dB return loss in the 8.4 to 8.45GHz DSN band.
My plans for this weekend are to take down the 23cm EME feed from the 3.5m dish and test this feed after taking some measurements with the horn that Jason KC2TDS built based on Michal SQ5KTM’s design.
IMPORTANT UPDATE 1 June 2020: Please see https://www.prutchi.com/2020/06/01/probe-location-for-squeezed-tube-x-band-dsn-feed/ for the correct probe orientation!
I finally got around to building a 3.5-turn helical feed for the 1.2m offset dish to receive S-Band satellite and DSN signals. VSWR is quite OK (1.5:1 to 1.6:1) within the Near-Earth and Deep-Space S-band (2.2 to 2.3 GHz):
Remember that book that I wrote on UV Photography? Well, I ended up collecting/building a number of UV lamps, and some of them emit UV-C. I set them up as a makeshift decontamination rack for our N95 masks.
The effectiveness of using germicidal (UV-C) light to decontaminate N95 masks to extend their useful time is well established. In fact, use of Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UVGI) has been recommended as an emergency measure by the CDC. The limiting factor is that UV-C degrades polymers, so it will eventually cause failure to the mask’s structural integrity (Lindsley et al, 2015).
Our protocol at home, based on my understanding of CDC’s guidelines and the intensity of my lights is to use masks for up to 8 hours (of actual use time when outside of the house grocery shopping or running essential errands) and then expose them for 15 minutes per side to UVGI before reuse.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This post should not be construed as advice on the decontamination of PPE. Please refer to official information on this matter from the CDC.
WARNING: Midrange and short-wave ultraviolet radiation can cause permanent eye and skin damage. Do not look directly at midrange or short-wave UV radiation, even for brief periods. Take appropriate precautions with pets and other living organisms that might suffer injury or damage due to UV exposure at these wavelengths.
Click here for high-resolution version of the image.
DSP-F21 is a satellite of the US Air Force’s Defense Support Program (DSP) which operates the Satellite Early Warning System. The TLEs for this satellite (USA-159) are distributed by SpaceTrack. The satellite was launched in 2001 and is still used for missile launch detection. The satellite emits a constant carrier at 2237.5 MHz which sometimes becomes active with data during Early Warning and LEO SIGINT operations.
My favorite microwave receiver is the AOR AR5000. I have it locked to either my 10 MHz rubidium or GPS references. The 10.7 MHz IF output goes to an RFspace SDR-14 which I display using SpectraVue.
The SDR-14 does not come with a provision for feeding an external reference, but I know I had seen something about this a long time ago. I Googled it, and found out that Dave Powis, G4HUP, the originator of the mod had become SK. His web page is no longer active, but found it using WayBackMachine.
I successfully modified my SDR-14 and am feeding it 66.666,666 MHz from a Leo Bodnar Mini Precision GPS Reference Clock.
Click here for my writeup of the mod with pictures, as well as Dave’s original posting.
The CoVid-19 quarantine has given me the opportunity to revisit neglected home projects, so I decided to add another Az/El dish to my antenna garden. The main purpose of this new dish will be to serve as a low-gain testbead before moving an experiment to the 3.5 m dish.
My first experiment for the new dish will be on S-band DSN, especially to “learn the ropes” about tracking non-terrestrial-orbiting probes before I try it on the high-gain dish.
The S-band DSN frequencies are as follows:
The downlinks require the receiver to operate between 2200 and 2300 MHz.
The highlight of my weekend was a JT65C EME QSO with Andrey 4X1AJ in Israel! That’s my personal longest EME DX. My 1296 MHz PA output was 600W, out of which I’m putting 400W at the feed of the 3.5 dish. In Andrey’s words, I was “booming” on his side (-17dB).
Very pleased with my current setup! THX Andrey for the QSO! 73
Before I package my 600W 1296MHz Power Amplifier into a single enclosure to be placed closer to the antenna, I thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures and draw a block diagram in case anyone wants to build something similar.
My original idea was to build a 600W PA using W6PQL boards. However, things have become very busy at work, so realistically building the PA would have taken a very long time. As a compromise, I decided to buy a 300W pallet and its companion controller from VHFDesign, not really knowing how that would go.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the VHFDesign unit. I purchased it directly from their website using PayPal. The unit arrived quite quickly from Ukraine. The instructions are clear, so once I got around to it, installation went easily. Their 2-cascade LNA has also been a pleasure to use, but I’ll leave that review for a future post.
After working at 300W for a while, I decided it was time for an upgrade, so I purchased a second unit with the intention of combining their outputs using ring hybrid couplers. The final block diagram is shown in this figure. The splayed-out view of the modules is shown in the following figure:
With an output of 326W for each VHFDesign pallet, each (suitable for CW and SSB), The PA produces a combined output of 600W. IMPORTANT NOTE: See my post about phase equalization! I’ll optimize cabling and phase matching once I assemble everything into a single enclosure. For now, it all works nicely splayed-out indoors.